Thursday, August 13, 2009

Health Care and Artists

If you haven't been in a coma the past few months, you know that there has been some serious debate about health care reform going on. It seems to me that no matter what I do, I cannot escape the conversation. From my experience with the U.S. health care system (across several states with individual private insurance, employer subsidized insurance, and just plain uninsured) there are more than a few kinks to work out. It's not a perfect system. Is it downright awful? I don't know. From what I've been told by friends from countries with state health insurance, those programs too have a few kinks and are not perfect. Shocking, right? There is no perfect system.
Where does this leave me? As a theater professional, I know that many of us will face underemployment, or employment without benefits through much of our careers. Will a public health care system benefit artists in this country?

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment