Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Amazing Shrinking World!

The older I get, the more I realize how undeniably small the world is.... especially if you work in theatre. 
Monday, in the midst of the never ending scurry that my life has become, I found myself in a hallway at Chelsea Studios face to face with one of my college classmates whom I hadn't seen since graduation.

Me: What are you DOING here?
Friend: I have an audition, I moved here yesterday!

I graduated from a theater program with about 10 other students.  In a city of several million, I can run into one of those 10 people within 24 hours of arrival.  Have you ever noticed that at every industry event you run into the same people over and over and over again?  Ever hear about that actor who was such a pain to work with that he/she never worked again?  Yeahhh.  We've all been there. 

This principal really made me think about the larger interconnectedness we have with theater artists all over the world, and the responsibility we have to challenge and collaborate with one another.  We all share a common language, yet there are millions of different environmental factors that have shaped our perspectives.  That is a recipe for some seriously amazing work.  Let's find new ways to reach out to our global counterparts and make some magic!

Already doing it?  Get your mind out of the gutter, I mean are you collaborating on a global level?  Let me know and I'll post your story!

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever looked at Esperanto, the international language. It is a planned language which belongs to no one country or group of states.

    Take a look at www.esperanto.net

    Esperanto works! I've used it in speech and writing in about fifteen countries over recent years.

    It may be a way of your connecting with your global counterparts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the rec. Bill, Esperanto is pretty interesting!

    ReplyDelete