Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Bad Theatre vs. No Theatre

I've always been a huge proponent of getting people in the theatre.  I don't care if it's Broadway or high school theatre, I want YOU in that dark room, because if I can get you in, I can probably talk you into it again.  I've been involved in some baaaaad theatre, and I still love it, so shouldn't everyone?

I had a high school reunion this weekend, and after catching up with some old classmates, I realized something.  I'm the only one working in theatre.  What's more, many (including those previously involved in school plays) don't even go to the theatre.  Huh...

Turns out, a bad theatre experience can really turn people off.  My high school theatre program was no  Interlochen.  However, I was fortunate enough to be involved with an amazing community theatre as well.  When I think back on it, I wouldn't be in the industry today if I hadn't participated in community theatre.  So bad theatre can really be a dangerous thing.

What do you think is worse, exposure to bad theatre, or no exposure to theatre at all?

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, great question! I have to say that while bad theater *might* turn people off, with NO theater there is no possibility for being turned on!

    ReplyDelete